A childhood cancer diagnosis may result in a child not being able to attend school for a period of time. The Childhood Cancer Association (CCA) recognises the challenges that this may create for the child’s educational development, and have therefore developed the Home Tutor Scheme.
Home Tutor Scheme
Established in 1989, the Home Tutor Scheme (HTS) provides home based educational support for school aged children who are currently receiving treatment for cancer and are unable to attend school full time as a result of their diagnosis/treatment. The HTS aims to help maintain and/or continue children's education, to assist with their transition back to the school environment. The HTS is fully funded by the Childhood Cancer Association, and reimburses the cost of one hour of tutoring per week.
Who can access the Home Tutor Scheme?
School aged children who have been diagnosed with cancer and who are:
- Unable to attend school due to intensive treatment demands and/or because of their immuno-suppressed status.
- Receiving palliative care and as such are unable to attend school.
How are children referred?
Families are to speak with their WCH Doctor, Social Worker or Family Service Counsellor from the Childhood Cancer Association, who will then complete a referral for the child.
What happens next?
- Once the application for tutoring has been approved, a letter will be forwarded to the parents/caregiver informing them of how to proceed in arranging the tutoring.
- The parents/caregivers will be responsible for arranging the child’s tutor either through the child’s school or a registered tutoring company.
- All tutors are required to be registered teachers or work for a professional tutoring organisation
- Childhood Cancer Association will liaise with the parents/caregivers during this process and throughout the child's involvement with the HTS.
For any other enquiries please don't hesitate to contact:-
The Family Service Team at the Childhood Cancer Association
P: (08) 8239 2211
If you or your family require assistance please contact us today!
Contact Childhood Cancer Association
» Contact us via email
» Or phone us on (08) 8239 1444
Help us make a difference today!
The Childhood Cancer Association is a fully self-funded organisation and therefore relies on the generous support of the community.
Childhood cancer presents many challenges for the child and their family. It affects not only the child but their brothers and sisters, parents, grandparents, friends and the whole community.
The Childhood Cancer Association provides support to the entire family.
Please help us make the cancer journey easier for these families!