About Our Services
The Childhood Cancer Association is one of Australia's key childhood cancer support organisations, providing ongoing, tailored support to meet the individual needs of each family. Our support extends to all family members including the child with cancer, parents/guardians, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles etc.
- Family Support & Programs
- Education Support
- Bereavement Services
- Other Support & Services
In our work with families, the Childhood Cancer Association is committed to providing the highest quality of care. This includes:
- Treating every clients privacy with the highest level of respect
- Providing highly confidential, professional services
- Providing clients with individualised, non-judgmental assistance
- Giving each client the option to discontinue contact with the service at any stage
- Providing clients with the ability to give feedback or make a complaint about any issue and have it followed up
When families are referred to the Childhood Cancer Association they receive one year free membership.
This membership entitles the family to access all of the Childhood Cancer Association's services free of charge. In subsequent years, each family must renew their membership to remain eligible to receive our services**.
**Please note: for longer term support over 5 years, some conditions may apply.
(per referred family)
To sign up or renew your membership, please contact the Childhood Cancer Association Office on (08) 8239 1444.
The Childhood Cancer Association is committed to providing a highly professional and confidential service. Consistent with professional laws and standards, records are kept. All personal information gathered during the provision of the counselling service will remain confidential and secure. However, there are some exceptions to this:
- By law, a psychologist/counsellor must seek the help of a third party if you tell them that you are going to:
- Harm yourself,
- Harm someone else, or
- Engage in an activity which threatens to harm your wellbeing.
- Your psychologist/counsellor will keep notes from your sessions together, and if you are involved in a legal matter, their notes/file can be subpoenaed by the court.
- Psychologists/counsellors also engage in regular supervision with other psychologists/counsellors to improve their practice, and they might raise your case with their supervisor to receive feedback about the treatment approach they are using.
- Additionally, as we work in close collaboration with the Women's and Children's Hospital (WCH) Social Work team, it is expected that at times relevant information will be shared in order to provide the best care possible for you and your family.
Consistent with professional laws and standards, records are kept of the contact that we have with each client. Clients are entitled to receive a copy of or summary of your records. As these are professional records, they can be misinterpreted and/or upsetting to untrained readers; it is therefore recommended that you review these records in the presence of trained staff so that the contents can be discussed.
Child Protection Policy
Childhood Cancer Association’s Child Protection Policy has been put in place for the protection of its members who are under the age of 18, from all forms of maltreatment while accessing services from the Association.
As part of this Policy we ensure that all staff, board members, volunteers and other people involved in the organisation meet the Association’s Child Safe Environment standards including agreeing to our Working with Children Code of Conduct and undergoing appropriate training. Additionally those aforementioned people are required to undergo the appropriate screening. Screening aims to ensure that those who may pose a risk to minors are not employed in a paid or voluntary capacity in positions, where children and young people might be placed at risk. Those that 'pose a risk' are people who have (and continue to) or who are likely to sexually, physically and emotionally abuse and neglect children and young people.
The Childhood Cancer Association is committed to the safety and well-being of all children and young people accessing our services and the welfare of the children in our care will always be our first priority. We aim to create a child safe and child friendly environment where all children are valued and can feel safe.
We always welcome the opportunity to receive feedback about our service delivery. If you would like to provide feedback about any of our services please do not hesitate to contact us via one of the following methods:
- Speak directly to one of the Family Service staff members
- Contact the Manager of Family Service, Ms Anna Boynton on (08) 8239 2211
- Contact Ms Cath O'Loughlin, Chief Executive Officer, Childhood Cancer Association on (08) 8239 1444
- Contact the CCA Board of Management by phoning (08) 8239 2211 or via email@example.com
- Mail to Childhood Cancer Association, PO Box 1094, North Adelaide SA 5006
Access to the Family Service Team and counselling services are available Monday-Friday 9am-5pm (closed on Public Holidays).
We can be contacted on (08) 8239 2211 or via the Contact Us page.
**Please note that the Family Service Team is not an out of hour's service. If you are in need of emergency or crisis care services please contact one of the following:
- Women's & Children's Hospital: (08) 8161 7000
- Assessment & Crisis Intervention Service (ACIS): 131 465
- Lifeline: 131 144
- Kids Help Line: 1800 55 1800
- Or present to your closest Hospital Emergency Department
If you or your family require assistance please contact us today!
Contact Childhood Cancer Association
» Contact us via email
» Or phone us on (08) 8239 1444
Help us make a difference today!
The Childhood Cancer Association is a fully self-funded organisation and therefore relies on the generous support of the community.
Childhood cancer presents many challenges for the child and their family. It affects not only the child but their brothers and sisters, parents, grandparents, friends and the whole community.
The Childhood Cancer Association provides support to the entire family.
Please help us make the cancer journey easier for these families!