Dr Michael Rice, AM, Paediatric Oncologist Women’s & Children’s Hospital
Dr Michael Rice was responsible for establishing the Association, beginning the process in 1981.
Dr Rice initiated contact with other parents of children with cancer and called them to a meeting at the hospital to discuss the establishment of a support group. This meeting ultimately led to the formation of the Association. Since its’ formation, Dr Rice has regularly attended meetings of the Association to provide guidance and advice, and to act as a mentor.
His significant contribution to the Association was first acknowledged with the naming of the Michael Rice Units at Prospect in September 1985 - made available to country families whilst staying in Adelaide for treatment.
Dr Rice has received many prestigious awards over the years including:
* 1998 - The Howards Williams Medal at the Australian College of Paediatrics
* 2000 - The Medal of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
* 2003 - The Centenary Medal
* 2004 - The Gold Medal of the Australian Medical Association
* 2004 - The Medal of the Order of Australia
Ambassador since April 2010 & Life Member